The 11 Great Houses of the Blessed Realm are extraordinarily powerful. They compose that vast portion of the power structure of the most powerful nation in Creation. (The element most associated with that house is in parentheses.)
Top Row (left to right): Cathak, Cynis, Iselsi, Ledaal, Mnemon, Nellens
Bottom row (left to right): Peleps, Ragara, Sesus, Tepet, V’neef
- House Cathak (Fire)—A pious and disciplined House of generals, strategists and martial philosophers. Famed as the most militaristic of the Great Houses, House Cathak has been blessed by the Dragons with the second-best Exaltation rate of the Houses, second only to Mnemon. Of course, the one thing about House Cathak is that it also has the highest mortality rate of the Houses. Publicly, this is because of their fearlessness. Privately, it’s because many in the House are short on judgment.
- House Cynis (Wood)—Decadent hedonists and traders in slaves, drugs and other contraband. There’s no denying that House Cynis has made its mark in the Scarlet Empire. Known for its especially wild parties, (some of which whose accounts are probably blown out of proportion) House Cynis has great lines with the Guild and are also traders in many kinds of contraband, from drugs to slaves.
- House Iselsi (Water)—A disgraced and shattered House fighting for its very survival, formerly masters of the Realm’s spy network. At first glance, it’s tempting to say that House Iselsi used to be a House. In reality, it’s still alive…but barely. It was all because in RY 303, Iselsi Terrestrials tried to assassinate the Scarlet Empress. As punishment, the Empress began removing its privileges bit by bit, in addition to execution of the assassins. In reality, she just placed the spies, who are among the best of spies, in the Threshold, where they’re needed most. But with her disappearance, Iselsi’s fate is in the air.
- House Ledaal (Air)—Historians, scholars and visionaries learning from the past and preparing for the Realm’s turbulent future. House Ledaal gives birth to some of the brightest and most curious people in the Empire. Many members of House Ledaal are aided by Sidereal Exalted, a tradition in the House since its founding, because Ledaal, the Empress’s fourth child, was a prodigy and the Empress hired a Sidereal tutor for her. Ledaal sorcerers are probably the only ones to recognize the threat of the Deathlords.
- House Mnemon (Earth)—An ambitious and cunning House of strategists and plotters headed by the Empress’s most powerful daughter, the sorceress Mnemon. House Mnemon turns out some of the best Dragon-Bloods in the Realm. Led by Mnemon, the eldest child of the Scarlet Empress that is still involved in politics, these people come out to be the best of Dragon-Blooded society. However, there’s a lot of people who bear a grudge against this House and its sorceress leader.
- House Nellens (None)—Primarily a patrician House with very few Dragon-Blooded, resented by most other Dynastic Houses as untalented, undeserving bastards. House Nellens is a strange house, because it employs the use of mortals in addition to Dragon-Bloods. This ambiguity, however, makes it highly unpopular amongst its fellow Houses. Some of them are willing to become advocates for mortal’s rights, but doing so is considered heresy to the Immaculate Order.
- House Peleps (Water)—Master politicians and overseers of the Imperial Navy. Most people don’t like House Peleps, because they are usually cheats, liars, manipulators, and generally rule-breakers. While the Empress approved of these tactics, the other Houses didn’t. However, with House Iselsi smashed on the rocks, no one else is more capable of running the Imperial Navy.
- House Ragara (Earth)—Bankers and schemers, the wealthiest of the Great Houses. Most members of House Ragara are content to work behind the scenes of the Realm rather than take a direct hand in it. Considering that they control many of the Realm’s finances and most of the Isle’s banks, this isn’t a hard job. They also keep a record of all debts and will call them in at any time.
- House Sesus (Fire)—A powerful military House, seething with political ambition. Sesus is probably the most fierce of the houses, as well as the most barbaric. A staunch supporter of House Mnemon, it is a strong house, but very incompetent. If it doesn’t get a hold on its forces soon, Sesus will just be a house of mercenaries…cannon fodder for Mnemon’s forces.
- House Tepet (Air)—Formerly a great martial House, now a fallen power scrambling to recover its dignity and standing. In earlier years, House Tepet was a lion’s share in the legions, along with House Sesus and House Cathak. But in three months, the Tepet legions and their respective Terrestrials were reduced by 66%. However, the Exalts of the House are trying to restore the house to its former glory, and have taken up an aggressive adoption campaign to keep their hopes up.
- House V’neef (Wood)—Merchants and traders. The youngest and smallest of the Dynastic Houses, but rapidly growing in wealth and influence. Some elder Dynasts have some trouble taking “House” V’neef, but the Empress had no trouble with that; in fact, some say she favored V’neef over Mnemon. Although a young house and the smallest of the eleven, they are easily gaining wealth and power with their wineries.